Arts and culture, including theater, dances, and music
Residency Period / Application Period
Number of Resident Artists
About three artists (persons or groups)
Conditions / Provisions
●Age limit: specified
●Specification of Countries: No
Each resident artist is required to:
• Be able to prepare a place for creative work, a performance venue, accommodation, and other necessities for their residency, including research and negotiation, all under their own responsibility.
• Be able to actively build friendly relationships with local communities, local government staff, and other people who are involved.
• Agree with the conditions for application, and be responsible for the entire process from application to the completion of the residency
• Have Japanese proficiency adequate for everyday communication
• Have properly paid the required taxes to the municipality where they live without fail for the past three years.
• NOT be a person who has been sentenced to imprisonment or more serious punishment, and has not yet completed serving the sentence or is still under a suspended sentence.
○ Traveling expense: Available (Up to 150,000 Yen)
* Special note: Each resident-artist (person or group) is awarded a grant for the actual travel expenses of a round-trip between the major station nearest to their address and Takamatsu.
○ Production fee: Available (Up to 250,000 Yen)
* Special note: Expenses of research, materials, the preparation and removal of exhibits, and the leasing of places used to create and exhibit artworks are included.
○ Living expense: Available (Up to 500,000 Yen)
* Special note:
• A grant of 10,000 Yen per day is awarded as expenses of accommodation and travel between the places of accommodation and creative work.
• Residents who rent vacant houses, weekly apartments or the like in which to stay will be paid an amount of money equal to the rent (up to 100,000 yen), plus 4,000 yen per day.
○ Professional and staff support (help from personnel toward production): Available
○ Opportunities for exhibitions/presentations: Not Available
○ Publication and distribution of activity report: Not Available
○ Other kinds of noteworthy support: Each artist (person or group) is awarded a grant of up to 100,000 yen for expenses for relationship-building activities with local communities, including artist talks, lectures, and workshops.
Selected by selection committee
Takamatsu Artist In Residence 2015
City of Takamatsu
City of Takamatsu(Arts and Culture Section)
Vacant houses, closed schools, vacant stores in shopping areas, etc.
○ Studios: Not Available
○ Exhibit Space: Not Available
○ Accommodation: Not Available
Takamatsu City, with a population of about 420,000 and an area of 375.23 km2, is the largest city in Japan’s smallest prefecture, Kagawa. Facing the Seto Inland Sea to the north and abutting Tokushima Prefecture to the south, the city is blessed with the rich natural setting of sea and mountains. The Setouchi Triennale, which is held on islands in the Seto Inland Sea every three years, will take place this year.
This artist-in-residence program was launched as a main measure following the Takamatsu City Plan for the Promotion of Arts and Culture developed in March 2015.
Year of (Program) Commencement
Establish cooperative relationships with local communities to create a pleasant hustle and bustle in the local areas, and contribute to popularizing arts and fostering young artists and other art-related people
○ During the program period, one or more artworks will be created and one or more relationship building events with local communities will be held.
○ During the program period, the administrative organization will record resident artists’ artworks and activities on still and moving images. The administrative organization holds the copyright on the records that the organization creates, and the right to use the records for the purpose of public relations valuable for the interests of the public.
Paradise Busshozan, a drama cum street stroll for reliving the memories of Busshozan (Pepin Structural Designs); Karaoke Takamatsu Shopping Street (Takeshi Moro); Shopping Street Story (F’s Company)
Promotion Division of Culture and Arts, Takamatsu City
Website: http:// www.city.takamatsu.kagawa.jp/25158.html
Contact Person: Yagyu
June 13, 2016