Drama, Performance, Performing arts in general
Residency Period / Application Period
●Residency Period: April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018
(The length of the stay is minimum of three days to maximum of three months)
●Application Period：April 29 to June 13, 2016
Number of Resident Artists
Conditions / Provisions
○ Age Limit: None
○ Nationality: Any
* The individual artist or group of artists can stay in Kinosaki International Arts Center for their artistic activities for a minimum of three days and for a maximum of three months.
* The artist should be able to speak and understand basic Japanese or English daily conversation. Or the artists should cover the fee of the interpreter.
* The artist should be independent, and capable of working and living on his or her own, doing such things as their own washing, cleaning and so on. If not, the artists should cover the fee of their helper.
* The artist should wish and be able to communicate with local people and tourists, including organizing the exchange program.
* The artists should follow the rules and regulations of Kinosaki International Arts Center and in case of violation, they have to accept to pay the penalty.
* The artist should cover the travel expense for round trip, living expense and production expense.
○ Presentation/exhibitions: Available.
* The presentation of the final result is not required, but participating in “The Local Are Contribution Program,” such as showing of the work in progress, open studio, Artist talk, or workshop excreta, is required.
○Publication and distribution of activities report: Not Available
* Year book of the program will be made.
○Other conditions: Resident artists can enjoy the public hot springs for 100 yen, the price for the townspeople.
The judges (4 outside experts) and staff of Kinosaki International Arts Center will screen all applicants. The process of the screening is closed but a hearing to the applicant may be done if it is needed.
Judges: Oriza Hirata (playwright, director, Artistic Director of Seinendan theater company),
Norikazu Sato (Executive Director of Japan Contemporary Dance Network),
Chiaki Soma (ex-Program Director of Festival/Tokyo),
Chieko Kinoshita (Management Committee of Artarea B1)
Kinosaki International Arts Center, Artist in Residence program
Kinosaki International Arts Center (KIAC)
Specified Nonprofit Organization Community Arts Center Platz
Kinosaki International Arts Center (KIAC)
・Studios: 6 [Studio 1 :79 sq.m., Studio 2 :48 sq.m., Studio 3 :41 sq.m., Studio 4 :61 sq.m., Studio 5 :55 sq.m., Studio 6 :27 sq.m.]
＊Conditions: Studio 2 is soundproof.
○ Exhibit Space: Not Available
○ Accommodation: Available
＊Numbers: 7 residential room [3 Japanese rooms and 4 western rooms]
Kinosak is one of the most known hot spring towns in Kansai area. It is crowded with tourists throughout the year as a resort with seven public hot springs. KIAC is located little away from the center of the town where beautiful nature is surrounding. The quiet environment let the resident artists focus on their work during the stay.
15 minutes work from JR Kinosaki-Onsen station (the nearest train station)
Year of (Program) Commencement
The aim of the program is to support the creativity of various artists and companies and then present and promote finished works both nationally in Japan and abroad. It also aims to coordinate creative exchanges with the local community and tourists, through events such as open studios, workshops, talk shows etc.
The center offers an Artist-in-Residence program for artists and companies selected once a year from among applicants. As the support, workspaces (a hall and studios) and residential rooms are provided. Artists can stay at the center for a minimum of three days and for a maximum of three months with 24 hours access to the facilities. Participation in the Local Area Exchange Program, creative exchanges with the local community and tourists, through events such as open studios, workshops, talk shows, is required during the stay.
○ Seinendan International Theatre Exchange Project 2014
Seinendan ＋ Osaka University Robot Theatre Project Android version “The Metamorphosis” Working in Residence & Show
○ Yanagimiwa Theatre Project “Zero Hour The last tape of Tokyo Rose” Working in Residence
○ Japan Dramatists Convention 2014 etc.
Daniel Léveillé, Hiroshi Ishiguro, Irène Jacob, Joris Lacoste, Luca Silvestrini, Miwa Yanagi, Monochrome Circus, Oriza HIRATA, Repliee S1“androïde”, Sandra Kantanen, Shuji Onodera, Takayuki Fujimoto, Yukio Suzuki
May 1, 2016