Theater, Music, Painting, Architecture, Craft, Photography/Movie, Sculpture, Design, Printing, Fashion design and other art project, art workshop
Residency Period / Application Period
a) June to September
b) November to February
application period: December to March
Number of Resident Artists
a) 1 to 4 persons or group
b) 1 to 4 persons or group
Conditions / Provisions
●Age limit: No
●Specification of Countries: No
○ Other: Applicants must meet the following conditions:
・ Ability to present the results of his/her work in an exhibition, workshop or by other means during their stay
・ Ability to actively interact with local residents
・ Ability to support projects conducted by Kamoe Art Center
・ Ability to communicate in Japanese or English in everyday life
●Traveling expense: Not Available
●Production fee: Available
* Special note: 200,000 JPY(tax included) per 1 unit
●Living expense: Not Available
* Special note: Not Available(transportation subsidy, food aid, accomodation auxiliary)
●Professional and staff support: Not Available
●Opportunities for presentation/exhibitions: Available
* Special note: Opportunities to present the results of his/her work in an exhibition, workshop or by other means during their stay.
In addition, artists selected by the judgment (one group per year) will be assisted by the planned exhibition cost of 70,000 yen, and they will be able to hold a 10 day exhibition at Hamamatsu City Kamoe Art Center within the next year.
●Publication and distribution of program report: NotAvailable
* Other notable support: Support for PR activities, including subsidizing the production of leaflets for his/her work presentation and posting the information on the center’s website and social networking sites
Selection method: The jury, comprising a panel of experts, will decide the successful applicants and announce all applicants of the examination outcome (in early May 2015). Please understand that inquiries about the selection will not be accepted.
Jury: Yusaku Imamura (The director of Tokyo Wonder Site), Ryuichi Emori (The director of Kamoe Art Center)
Kamoe Art Center in Hamamatsu City, Studio Provision Project
Association for Creative City Hamamatsu, Tokai Maintenance of Building Co., Ltd
Hamamatsu City(culture policy)
Kamoe Art Center
1 Kamoe-cho, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-city, Shizuoka prefecture 432-8024 Japan
● Studios: Available
* Room No.202 (20 sq.m), Room No.203 (20 sq.m), Room No.204 (20 sq.m), Room No.205 (19 sq.m)
・open: 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
● Exhibit Space: Available
● Accommodation: Not Available
* Parking space is available for a standard-sized passenger car on the center’s property; no soundproofing; no outdoor space for production.
Hamamatsu City has a population of approximately 810,000, and is the 16th city designated by ordinance. The Kamoe Art Center is located in the academic district within walking distance of downtown Hamamatsu; the physical space of its historic building constructed in 1928 has the power to inspire creativity.
○ By bullet train: 2 hours from Tokyo station
○ 15-minute walk from JR Hamamatsu Station
○ 1-minute walk from the bus stop 'Kamoe Art Center.' The bus station is No.3 at the Entetsu bus terminal of Hamamatsu station. trains for "9 Kamoe Medical Center" or 「9-22 Kamoe・Educational Center・Ohiradai」
In November 2013, the Kamoe Art Center in Hamamatsu City was opened as a cultural facility of Hamamatsu City for the purpose of creating a hub for creative activities that is widely accessible to local citizens as a place for creating and introducing culture and art and that also serves as a place of exchange. As part of its project, the Art Center launched a project to provide artists with studios.
Year of (Program) Commencement
The Kamoe Art Center implements the Studio Provision Project as a project to give support to individual artists and creators and groups of artists and creators who seek to produce new artistic expressions through residence in a different environment.
A room in the Art Center will be rented for free during the following periods: (a) from June 2015 to September 2015, or (b) from November 2015 to February 2016.
* The period of time of use is from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
* There is no accommodation facility.
- As production costs, 20,000 yen will be provided to an individual or a group.
- For transportation, accommodation and food costs, no support will be provided.
- artists /creators must present their results in some form during their stay.
- The judges of the Kamoe Art Center will select an artist (or a group) from among the participants in the project for the year, and the selected artist or group will be provided with an opportunity to hold a special exhibition for about two weeks at the Kamoe Art Center. As expenses for holding the special exhibition, 70,000 yen will be subsidized.
FY 2014(8 units)
exhibition by residential artist "tree and water"
open workshop by residential artist “Let’s Use the Voice and Body for Expression”
workshop and exhibition by residential artist "Music For Toilets exhibition/workshop)"
workshop by residential artist “Shuhei’s Painting Workshop Using ‘Yumeiro-no-Enogu’”
open studio by residential artist “Unopenable Doors and Openable Doors”
workshop by residential artist
“Wa Wa Wa Workshop—Around Lives”
workshop by residential artist
“Let’s Write Poems to Become Happy”
workshop by residential artist
“Let’s Make Chopsticks for Children”
“Let’s Make Chopsticks and Eat a Meal with Them”
FY2015 (8 units)
akira muracco "Akira Murakami Exhibition of Original Images"
Tamotsu Ikeya "Tamotsu Ikeya Open Atelier"
Soushi Mizuno "Soushi Mizuno Open atelier & Lounge Music"
Katarzyna Mochocka "Katarzyna Mochocka Open Atelier"
Hiromine Muraki "Poetry Exhibition No needs, No life"
Kazuaki Koide "Kazuaki Koide Open Atelier & Workshop"
Aiko Harada “Photo Printing Workshop-Keep Things”
Asao Yoshida “Kotobakotorikoron—Project for Collecting Words and Making Songs”
FY2016 (the first period: 4 units)
natsukiiin "natsukiiin Solo Exhibition OPEN ATELIER #202"
Asao Yoshida "Muscle NTT Kamokamo Radio OPEN STUDIO"
Tomoko Natsume “Walls of Room 204 in Kamoe”—Workshop “Let’s Find Hidden Colors”, Gallery Talk: “Process of Completing a Work”
Hisato Kobayashi "Hisato Kobayashi dummy book exhibition/talk event"
Aiko Harada, akira muracco, Asao Yoshida, Fumie Miyaji, Hayato Kumagai, Hiromine Muraki, Hisato Kobayashi, Katarzyna Mochocka, Kazuaki Koide, Kinomi Oumi, Minoru Shiba, NANI bu, natsukiiin, Noriko Miyazawa, Shuhei Nakamura, Soushi Mizuno, Suzushi, Tamotsu Ikeya, Tomoko Natsume, Ukyo Aoshima
December 20, 2016