Residency Period / Application Period
●Residency Period: April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017
* One week or less per cycle. If artists or creators wish to stay longer than a week, please consult with us during the process of application.
●Application Period: April 1, 2016 to March 15, 2017
* These periods may change according to the status of the application.
Number of Resident Artists
One artist/creator (one couple) per cycle.
Conditions / Provisions
●Age limit: None
* Application for this program, however, is limited to those in good health.
●Specification of countries: None
* However, fluency in Japanese at the level of everyday conversation is required.
●Others: Those who are living outside the hilly and mountainous area in Shizuoka City (Refer to the “Districts included in the hilly and mountainous area” in Appendix 1 in the Application Form *Japanese only
●Travelling expense: None
●Production fee: None
●Living expense: None
●Professional and staff support: None
●Opportunities for presentation/exhibitions: None
●Publication and distribution of activity report: None
* Participants are required to reply to questionnaire on this pilot residency program.
* Send an Application Form to the Shizuoka City Hilly and Mountainous Area Development Section via postal mail, fax or e-mail, or submit it in person at the office. The Guidelines for Application and the Application Forms are available on the website “OKU-SIZ
.” For information on the address to send the application form, please see “Inquiry” below.
* When a preferred date overlaps with that of other applicants, you may be asked to change the date.
Shizuoka City Creators’ Village Model Program “Living Experience”
Shizuoka City Government
Hilly and Mountainous Area Development Section, Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery Division, Economic Affairs Bureau
The Center for Creative Communications (CCC)
Shizuoka City Creators’ Village
329 Narao, Aoi Ward, Shizuoka City, Shizuoka Prefecture, 421-1407
* Former music room with an area of 44 m2
●Exhibit Space: Available
* There are relatively large exhibition spaces near the entrance and in the corridors of the school building.
* Three rooms: Former class room with an area of 29 m2
* Every participant is charged 1,000 yen per night for utilities expense.
●Others: The building is the former Narao Elementary School, which has been renovated and installed with modular baths. The three-storied building of a steel structure.
The facility is located in the Okawa district (former Abe Rokkason Okawa Village), Aoi Ward, Shizuoka City, which has a population of 871 and 389 households (as of September 2012). There are also the Okawa Lifelong Learning Communication Hall
(a complex within the Senior Citizens Life Welfare Center) and the municipal Yunoshima Hot Spring Bathhouse within the district.
○About 1 hour by car from JR Shizuoka Station
○15 minutes by car from “Hinata,” the last stop of the Warashina Line, Shizutetsu Bus bound for Hinata (Shizutetsu Justline Co., Ltd.)
* Participants need to have a car or other means of transportation.
This project is a pilot being implemented to promote the hilly and mountainous area (Okawa District) by using the Narao Youth Outdoor Learning Center (former Narao Elementary School) closed on March 31, 2012.
Year of (Program) Commencement
Aiming at promoting the hilly and mountainous area in Shizuoka City by utilizing human resources with rich creativity, this program provides creators and artists with an opportunity to experience life in the area and conduct creative activities in a quiet environment with rich nature (“Living Experience”). This program looks for participants who want to live in this area for a longer period of time after the program and encourages them to settle in this area.
One person (one couple) is accepted to stay for one week or less per cycle. During the program period, participants are encouraged to consider whether they can live for a longer period of time in this hilly and mountainous area based on what they see and feel in their creative activities, the living environment in the village and surrounding natural environment.
Hilly and Mountainous Area Development Section, Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery Division, Economic Affairs Bureau, Shizuoka City Government
538-11 Sendai, Aoi Ward, Shizuoka City, Shizuoka Prefecture, 421-1212
TEL: 054-294-8805/ FAX: 054-278-3908
Mail address: chuusankanchi(at)city.shizuoka.lg.jp
Person in charge: Mitsuki Abe
October 25, 2016