Residency Period / Application Period
● Residency Period: December, 2016 - February, 2017
* Period of Stay: Maximum 80 days (See details below)
* The period of an exhibition, the dates of performances, etc., will be decided after consultation with the participants.
● Application Period: early in January - February 19, 2016（Finished）
Number of Resident Artists
A few people or groups (A group can consist of up to three members.)
Conditions / Provisions
○ Age Limit: None
* If an applicant is under the age of 18 as of February 19, 2016, his/her guardian needs to sign and affix a seal on his/her application form. The same rule is applied in the case of a group that includes minors.
○ Nationality: Any
* Please note that the candidates must be able to communicate in Japanese and have an experience of AIR program and so on in Japan. Interpretation is not available.
* Applicants must have previously resided in Japan or have experienced similar activities in Japan.
○ Open call: Creation of works or art programs that convey the full charm of skating
○ Others: Applicants must be able to conduct creative activities that link with the city and people using local resources in Hachinohe (tourist resources, culture, things, colors, people, etc.) as materials.
* Applicants must be able to do all things relating to the production of art works and living by themselves. They must also be able to present the results of production as works and take responsibility for conducting tasks from displaying to removing their art works.
* Applicants must be able to plan and implement interactive programs with local citizens during their period of residency.
* Applicants must be able to communicate and cooperate with local citizens and staff members during their stay.
* Applicants who have had residence certificate for the last three years, have never fallen behind in their payment of residential tax of the city.
* Applicants must not have a criminal record.
● Transportation expenses: Available (including travel expenses). Provided at cost (up to 100,000 yen per person/group)
● Costs of production: Available. Up to 300,000 yen per person/group
● Costs of residency: Available. 3,000 yen per day will be provided for an artist. (for up to 80 days; up to 240,000 yen)
In the case of a group consisting of two or more members, 5,000 yen per day will be provided to one group (for up to 80 days; up to 400,000 yen)
● Accommodation: Available. Resident artists will stay in the residence on the fifth floor of the museum building. (Only one room will be rented. 42㎡)
The room has private facilities (with bath and toilet). There is a shared laundry room and a kitchen.
* Depending on the period, other artists may be residing in other rooms.
* Artists need to secure the means of transportation for their activities and obtain their meals by themselves. Bicycle rental is available.
● Production studios: Available. The Artist Residence, the Open Studio, and the Workshop on the fifth floor of the museum supplied with industrial tools, etc.
● Exhibition and performance space: The space for displaying art works (gallery, theater, etc.) will be available with consultation after the resident artist was announced.
● PR activities: Production of leaflets, the Website, Hachinohe City’s website
● Creation and distribution of a collection of activity records: None
Selection will be made by Hachinohe Portal Museum staff
Hachinohe Portal Museum “hacchi”
Hachinohe Portal Museum ”hacchi”
Hachinohe City (Hachinohe Portal Museum, Department of Community Building, Culture and Tourism)
● Exhibit Space: Available
○ Galleries 1, 2 and 3 (ceiling height 3.3 m, sizes range between 37–53 m2)
○ Theater 1 (126 m2, ceiling height 3.5 m)
○ Theater 2 (141 m2, ceiling height 6.5 m)
* Theaters 1 and 2 have sound equipment
● Studios: Available
○ Shared studio (166 m2)
○ Workshop (equipped with machine tools)
* The shared studio is open to the public as well, so space often has to be shared (hacchi will make reasonable efforts to accommodate both users comfortably)
● Accommodation: Available
○ Residences E (each residence measures 46㎡)
* Each residence has private bathroom and toilet. There is a shared kitchen and laundry room. There is no television. Internet access is available.
● Hachinohe Portal Museum
○ Site area: 3,387 m2
○ Building area: 1,664 m2
○ Total floor area: 6,463 m2
○ Main structure: reinforced concrete (seismically isolated)
○ Size: Five stories above ground (maximum height 24 m)
● Others: The museum is located in downtown Hachinohe. Situated across the road is Hachinohe’s famous Yokocho district, where artists can find places to eat, drink and also interact with local people.
Hachinohe has a population of about 240,000. Its main industries are fishery and manufacturing. Topographically it is close to the sea and mountains and has rich natural assets. In 2002 the Tohoku Shinkansen bullet trains commenced service to Hachinohe, making access to Tokyo and other parts of Japan easier than before. Nearby cultural attractions include Towada Art Center
and Shuji Terayama Museum
. Korekawa Jomon Museum
opened in the city in 2011. Hachinohe City Museum of Art
is close to hacchi.
○ 3 minutes from Hachinohe Chushingai Terminal (Yokamachi)
* Reached by taking a bus for Hachinoheshi Chushingai Homen from JR Hachinohe Station east exit. The bus ride takes approx. 25 minutes.
○11-minute walk from JR Hachinohe Line Honhachinohe Station
* JR Hachinohe Station is approx. three hours from Tokyo by Tohoku Shinkansen bullet train
Hachinohe Portal Museum hacchi opened in February 2011. It is intended as an activity hub for revitalizing downtown Hachinohe and its community through cultural activities, tourism and manufacturing.
Year of (Program) Commencement
Focus on local resources to create new magnetism for the city. As a stage for creating new, unconventional and cross-sectoral value through the power of art and communication, the facility is equipped with many functions, including residences, a theater, gallery, manufacturing studio, and a venue for tourism exhibitions.
Artist-in-residence and other art and culture programs, manufacturing-related events to invigorate the city center, tourism promotion programs, exhibitions, workshops and other events. Also provides information via periodicals and websites, and makes its facilities available for hire by the public.
Number of artist-in-residence program participants
FY2015: 4 groups of participants were invited.
FY2014: 5 groups of participants were invited.
FY2013: 4 groups of participants were invited.
FY2012: 2 groups of participants were invited.
FY2011: 3 groups of participants were invited.
Asako Ohshima, Eiji Saito, Hideo Tsuto, Kayo Ume, Koichiro Yamamoto, KOSUGE1-16, Masaru Tatsuki, Masashi Asada, Miki Isojima, Poh Wang, SAMA･YAMA, Sue Hajdu, Tamami Yamada, YORIKO
June 26, 2016